The Nelson County School District adheres to the following procedures in inclement weather.
The district announces school closings with a phone message. An automated system calls parents within 60 minutes of the time a decision is made to close schools. If phone numbers are reported to the school at the time of student enrollment, parents do not need to do anything to receive these calls.
Delays and closings are announced locally on WBRT radio, WYSB radio and PLG-TV and on Louisville television stations WAVE, WHAS, WLKY and WDRB.
Please keep in mind the following points:
- If an announcement is made saying school will open at a later time, parents should not leave children at the schools earlier than the delayed starting time.
- If a delayed starting time is announced, parents and students should continue to monitor the situation because, depending on the weather, the schools eventually could be closed.
- On days with delayed openings, morning preschool classes will be canceled. Afternoon preschool will follow the normal schedule.
- District childcare programs may operate even if schools are closed. Check local media for announcements.
- If schools are closed, decisions concerning after-school activities will be made by central office staff and announced by local media, sponsors of individual activities, or on our One Call Now telephone system.
- Parents and students should not call the schools or the board of education for closing information. Phone lines need to be kept open for use in case of emergencies.