The Nelson County School District adheres to the following procedures in inclement weather.
The district announces school closings with a phone message. An automated system calls parents within 60 minutes of the time a decision is made to close schools. If phone numbers are reported to the school at the time of student enrollment, parents do not need to do anything to receive these calls.
Delays and closings are announced locally on WBRT, WOKH and WLSK radio, PLG-TV, Channel 6 TV, Channel 4 TV, and on Louisville television stations WAVE, WHAS, WLKY and WDRB. Information is also generally available online at the district web address, nelson.kyschools.us.
Please keep in mind the following points:
- If an announcement is made saying school will open at a later time, parents should not leave children at the schools earlier than the delayed starting time.
- If a delayed starting time is announced, parents and students should continue to monitor the situation because, depending on the weather, the schools eventually could be closed.
- On days with delayed openings, morning preschool classes will be canceled. Afternoon preschool will follow the normal schedule.
- District childcare programs may operate even if schools are closed. Check local media for announcements.
- If schools are closed, events scheduled for that afternoon and evening at the elementary and middle schools will be canceled. Some events at the high schools may occur. Listen to WBRT, WOKH and WLSK radio, or watch cable PLG-TV, Channel 6 TV, Channel 4 TV for information.
- Parents and students should not call the schools or the board of education for closing information. Phone lines need to be kept open for use in case of emergencies.
For information about the One Call Now system as well as e-mail and text notifications, click this link.
For an explanation of the school closing decision process, go here.